Thérèse Delvaux is a medical doctor, specialized in obstetrics and gynecology (University of Liège, Belgium). She has over 25 years of experience in the field of sexual and reproductive health. She is scientific expert and senior researcher at the Institute of Tropical Medicine (ITM), Antwerp. She teaches reproductive health and coordinates the “International Course on Planning and Management of Reproductive Health Programs” at ITM.
After working with Médecins Sans Frontières Belgium in Africa (Guinea-Conakry; Angola) and Asia (Cambodia), she worked at the School of Public Health, Free University of Brussels (ULB), then obtained a MPH in 1996 (Harvard University, USA).
She joined the Unit of HIV/STI Epidemiology and Control at the Institute of Tropical Medicine in 1998. She obtained a PhD degree in 2009 (University of Ghent, Belgium) on the topic “Linking sexual and reproductive health and HIV services: from needs to feasibility and evidence of benefits”.
She is a member of the Editorial Advisory Board of the scientific journal Reproductive Health Matters. She is involved at the Belgian level in the field of international sexual and reproductive health since 2000, first with the Belgian Platform on Population and Development she chaired for 6 years, and currently with the Working Group on Sexual and Reproductive health and Rights (within Be-cause Health, Belgian International Health Platform).
- Linkages between sexual and reproductive health and HIV, including prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV (PMTCT) and family planning for people living with HIV.
- Family planning services/programs.
- Quality of maternity care, safe abortion and reproductive health services; reproductive health programs.
- Reproductive Health: Master in Public Health, ITM, Antwerp: PMTCT; introduction to reproductive health; unsafe abortion/ safe abortion services; family planning; evidence-based medicine in reproductive health; integrated sexual and reproductive health services (1998/99 -current)
- Reproductive Health: Master in Public Health –“Mestrado em Saude Publica”, Reproductive Health Option, University E. Mondlane, Maputo, Mozambique (2009-current)
- Reproductive Health: Post graduate in Tropical Diseases and International Health, ITM, Antwerp: PMTCT; Safe abortion services (2000-current)
- Course Coordination: “International Course on Planning and Management of Reproductive Health Programs”, a 10–week course within the Master of Public Health, orientation in Disease Control at ITM, Antwerp (1998/99 -current)
- Coaching: MPH thesis, ITM, Antwerp (1998/99 -current
Or link to research gate